6 Reasons Your Car Battery Light is On
When it comes to your car, there are usually a few noticeable signs when issues occur. One sign is a warning light on your dashboard lighting up. There are a number of different warning lights to pay close attention to, one being the battery warning light. While it is normal for your car battery warning light to come on when you first start your car, if you notice it stays lit while you are driving, it’s probably time to take your car to the shop. Check out these six reasons your car battery light is on and next steps you can take to keep your car in excellent condition.
Reasons Your Car Battery Light May Be On
When it comes to your car battery light, there are a few common reasons that it might light up. Those reasons include:
- Too many car accessories are in use, such as the radio, heat or air conditioning, interior lights, charging cables, and other such items.
- There is a significant amount of corrosion at the battery terminal.
- There is a problem with the voltage regulator.
- You have a weak or old battery.
- A bad ground strap.
- A bad alternator.
When your battery light comes on, it's time to investigate the cause. You don't want to find yourself stranded somewhere unable to start your car. In some cases, you may need a mechanic to identify and repair the problem.
4 Things to Do When Your Car Battery Light Comes On
While you don't need to pull over as soon as the car battery light illuminates, it is better to address the issue sooner rather than later. If your car battery light is on, here are a few steps you can take:
- Check the purchase date of the battery. If it's older than 3 to 5 years, you may need a new one.
- Tighten the battery clamps.
- Remove any obvious corrosion from the battery terminal and clamps.
- Turn off excess accessories to see if that turns out the battery warning light.
Contact Custom Complete Automotive
If your car battery warning light stays lit after performing these steps, it's time to call your mechanic. At Custom Complete Automotive, our team is made up of ASE and CCA certified technicians who have experience working with all makes and models of cars. To learn more about our electrical repair services, or to schedule an appointment at one of our six locations in Missouri, contact us today!
Find an Auto Repair Shop Near You
We have multiple auto repair shops throughout Missouri located in Columbia, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.
Eric Riddles is an ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician who has been working as an auto mechanic since 1998 and originally joined the team at Custom Complete Automotive in 2005. Eric has numerous certifications in various aspects of car repair and spent 10 years training the next generation of auto technicians at a local high school Auto Shop classroom.