Create an Emergency Kit to Keep in Your Car this Winter
We all know that driving in the winter is sometimes dangerous. Getting stuck in a snowdrift on the way to see your family is a distinct possibility! Even if you're an experienced winter driver and feel comfortable driving on ice or snow, it’s always a good idea to prepare for treacherous conditions and sometimes unavoidable accidents. Preventative maintenance and tire servicing can help with that. So can having the right equipment on hand when you need it. Check out this list we’ve created of items to keep in your car this winter.
Frequently Used Items
- Ice scrapers (plastic sometimes shatters in really cold temperatures so keep a spare scraper on hand)
- Long snow brush (don't forget to brush the snow off the roof or you risk a blinding mini avalanche)
If You Get Stuck
- A bag of sand or non-clumping cat litter for traction
- A snow shovel that folds or collapses
- Headlamp (so you're not shoveling one-handed)
In Case of a Car Emergency
- Jumper cables
- Tire chains
- Tow strap
- Emergency signaling items such as reflective warning triangles and road flares
Staying Warm and Comfortable
- Extra clothing such as mittens, hats, and wool socks at a minimum
- Hand warmers to stuff into your mittens and socks
- Wool blanket
- Emergency foil blanket for each person (place it over the blanket for extra insulation)
- Waterproof matches
- Portable carbon monoxide detector
- Bottles of water (not quite full so they won't burst if they freeze)
- Nonperishable foods such as canned nuts, nut butter, granola bars, protein bars, dried fruit, hard candy, etc.
Miscellaneous Important Items
- First-aid kit
- Multi-tool with a knife blade
- Crank or battery-powered emergency radio
Remember, prevention and preparation are key to driving (and arriving) safely! Regular preventative maintenance means less chance of a breakdown this winter. For peace of mind in knowing that your car is ready for winter, contact us at Custom Complete Automotive today friendly, reliable service!
Find an Auto Repair Shop Near You
We have multiple auto repair shops throughout Missouri located in Columbia, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.
Eric Riddles is an ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician who has been working as an auto mechanic since 1998 and originally joined the team at Custom Complete Automotive in 2005. Eric has numerous certifications in various aspects of car repair and spent 10 years training the next generation of auto technicians at a local high school Auto Shop classroom.