Pros & Cons of DIY Car Maintenance
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) car maintenance can sometimes be a double-edged sword. As the old-age saying goes, knowledge is power; however, on the other hand, there are professionals for a reason. Keep reading to learn about the pros and cons behind DIY car maintenance.
The Pros of DIY Car Maintenance
Pros of DIY car maintenance include:
- First and foremost, more likely than not, DIY car maintenance will significantly cut back the upfront costs. Being able to save money is a definite win.
- On top of that, folks who are able to self-maintain vehicles get to enjoy the convenience of not having to make an appointment or have to worry about taking time out of their schedule to drop off and pick up their vehicle at auto repair shops.
- Lastly, and maybe most importantly, DIY car maintenance is an excellent learning opportunity. Working on car maintenance with loved ones could even be a time to bond for some.
In short, saving money, learning new skills, and getting bragging rights don't seem too bad.
The Cons of DIY Car Maintenance
With the pros comes the cons, and there are some to be aware of when it comes to DIY car maintenance.
- For starters, DIY car maintenance commonly takes longer. Of course, this can be tricky if time is of the essence.
- Taking on self-repairs in vehicles makes DIY car maintenance seem less intimidating, but it is not something to be taken lightly, especially in regard to safety. If there is ever uncertainty or doubt while maintaining a vehicle, it is time to tap in the professionals.
- Although no one ever wants to be in this situation, many can relate to the frustrations of DIY car maintenance actually costing them more in the long run. From incorrect parts to well-intentioned decisions gone bad, auto professionals are always there to help.
Contact Our Auto Repair Professionals
Through highly respected and fair practices, our certified technicians at Custom Complete Automotive help drivers keep their cars in excellent condition. To learn more about our auto repair services, or to schedule an appointment at one of our locations in Missouri, contact our team today!
Find an Auto Repair Shop Near You
We have multiple auto repair shops throughout Missouri located in Columbia, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.
Eric Riddles is an ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician who has been working as an auto mechanic since 1998 and originally joined the team at Custom Complete Automotive in 2005. Eric has numerous certifications in various aspects of car repair and spent 10 years training the next generation of auto technicians at a local high school Auto Shop classroom.