Top 4 Advantages of Anti-Lock Brakes
Anti-lock brake systems are specially designed as a safety feature to give drivers more control when driving in an emergency or need to make quick, abrupt stops. They are especially perfect for navigating during a panic or emergency by restoring tire traction, preventing the wheels from locking up, and allowing a safe drive. Keep reading to learn more about the advantages of anti-lock brakes.
What are Anti-Lock Brakes?
An anti-lock braking system is an anti-skid safety brake technology that enables drivers to retain traction when steering in extreme driving conditions. These brakes are handy when driving on a slippery surface because they help restore traction to your tires, allowing drivers to stop faster and have complete control of the vehicle. Anti-lock brakes have four main components:
- Speed sensors - Speed sensors on the wheel help drivers know which wheels are about to lock.
- Pumps - The pumps add pressure once the valves remove some pressure from the line to ensure stability.
- Valves - The valves in every brake line controlled by the anti-lock brake system are used for opening, blocking, or releasing pressure from the brake line in line with the dynamics of the brake's operation.
- Controllers - The controllers monitor the speed sensors and control the valves.
Advantages of Using Anti-Lock Brakes
Benefits of using anti-lock braking systems include:
- Greater traction control: The advanced traction control technology and the anti-lock brake systems share basic designs ensuring your wheels have excellent grip.
- Increased stopping abilities: Their primary purpose is to prevent your wheels from locking up and minimize slipping, keeping in mind that all roads are not in perfect condition, making them a must-have in extremely unpredictable weather.
- High resale value: This applies to whether you have a truck, car, or SUV, as the anti-lock brakes add to the overall value of your car. In fact, not having ABS in your car can lower its value.
- Lower insurance costs: ABS have proved to be extremely effective on the road and have contributed to fewer accidents, resulting in lower insurance costs.
Contact Our Auto Repair Experts
At Custom Complete Automotive, our certified experts have the right tools and expertise to keep your vehicle’s anti-lock brakes and other electrical systems in excellent condition. To learn more about our electrical repair services, or to schedule an appointment at one of our locations in Missouri, contact us today!
Find an Auto Repair Shop Near You
We have multiple auto repair shops throughout Missouri located in Columbia, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.
Eric Riddles is an ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician who has been working as an auto mechanic since 1998 and originally joined the team at Custom Complete Automotive in 2005. Eric has numerous certifications in various aspects of car repair and spent 10 years training the next generation of auto technicians at a local high school Auto Shop classroom.