Five Tips for Maintaining Your Automatic Transmission
After the engine, your transmission is the second most important system, and it's also a big-ticket item if it needs repairs. In the simplest of terms, your car's transmission changes the gears of the engine as your car picks up speed and slows down. If the transmission fails, your engine won't run. This makes it essential to maintain your automatic transmission and keep it in good working order. Check out these tips to maintain your transmission.
Tips for Maintaining Your Automatic Transmission
A few small changes in the way you operate your motor vehicle can make a big difference for your transmission.
- Routinely check your transmission fluid. Your fluid should be bright red and smell sweet. If it's a muddy color or smells off, it's time to get a transmission specialist to take a look at it.
- Flush your transmission. Take your car into the shop once a year to have your transmission flushed. If your car overheats or you do a lot of driving, you might consider having it flushed more often.
- Never change gears while driving. If you need to put the car in reverse, you should come to a complete stop. Changing gears while the car is in motion can damage your transmission.
- Change your transmission filter. Like your oil filter, your transmission filter can get clogged with debris and cause damage to your transmission. Have your transmission filter changed regularly to avoid costly repairs.
- Annual transmission inspection. Once a year, you should have a certified mechanic inspect your transmission to ensure it’s in good working order. They can check your fluid and identify any issues before they become larger, more expensive problems.
If your car is due for an annual inspection, or you think you might have an issue with your transmission, our technicians at Custom Complete Automotive are ready to help. We take pride in providing you with outstanding service and repairs. Contact us today for more information.
Find an Auto Repair Shop Near You
We have multiple auto repair shops throughout Missouri located in Columbia, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.
Eric Riddles is an ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician who has been working as an auto mechanic since 1998 and originally joined the team at Custom Complete Automotive in 2005. Eric has numerous certifications in various aspects of car repair and spent 10 years training the next generation of auto technicians at a local high school Auto Shop classroom.